The first report on the Index of business climate for small and medium enterprises was presented on 23rd December 2009, at the premises of the Directorate for development of small and medium sized enterprises. The report is based on the survey for 2009, done by the Centre for Economic Entrepreneurship and Development (CEED) from Podgorica, with the support of GTZ, for the needs of the Directorate for development of small and medium sized enterprises.
This project was presented by Mr. Zoran Vukčević, director of the Directorate for development of small and medium sized enterprises, Mr. Benjamin Klinger, Team leader of the project â€œEconomic Development and Employment Promotionâ€? in GTZ, and Mrs. Ana Å ebek, project coordinator â€œIndex of business climate for small and medium enterprisesâ€?.
Aiming at creating systematic prerequisites for SME development, and thus reply properly to needs that have risen from their business, direct daily communication with enterprises is crucial. That way we receive feedback information if our activities are done and directed properly, and if we reached expected response from small and medium enterprises, the sector that is supported by the Directorate, pointed out Mr. Vukčević.
The aims of the report, which has been realized for the first time in Montenegro, are:
1) Appraisal of business opportunities and barriers for small and medium enterprises, collecting information on economic development, as well as data on results of SME support policy measures.
2) Measuring operation of small and medium enterprises, and thence, based on results, enabling enhancement of existing, and further development of new services offered by relevant institutions in Montenegro.
The survey comprised respectable 473 sample enterprises, while the information sources were the following institutions: Central Register of the Commercial Court, Statistics Bureau â€“ MONSTAT, and Department of Public Revenues.
It is planned to prepare the report on the Index of business climate in the future, at least once a year.
The report is based on responses of managers and owners of small and medium enterprises from the whole territory of Montenegro, and it contains review on the following issues:
- How do small and medium enterprises appraise their business in the past period?
- What are expectations of small and medium enterprises in future period?
- Which business barriers complicated their business in the past period, and which support measures had positive impact on their business?
- Which support measures will they need in future period in order to continue effective promotion of this sector â€“ small and medium enterprises and entrepreneurship?
In addition, the report gives recommendations for eliminating existing business barriers and obstacles for development of small and medium enterprises in Montenegro.
The authors of the report are analysts from CEED, freelancer Ms. Ratka Stijepović, and IFO (Institute for economic research) consultant from Munich, Mr. Dr Siegfried SchÃ¶nher.