Government of the Republic of Montenegro, on the session held on 1 December 2000. brought a Regulation about the annex of the Regulation on Organization and Way of Working of the State Administration which predicts the establishment Agency for Development of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises ( “Official Gazette Republic of Montenegro” No. 59/00).
An the session held on 29.07.2004., according to Article 94, item 6 of the Constitution of the Republic of Montenegro, relating to the Article 24 of the Law on Public administration (Official Gazette of the Republic of Montenegro, no. 38/03), the Government of Montenegro has passed the Bylaw on organization and operation of the Public administration (Official Gazette of the Republic of Montenegro, no. 54/04).
Based on this Bylaw, the Agency for development of small and medium-sized enterprises was renamed into Directorate for development of small and medium-sized enterprises.
According to the Article 44 of this Bylaw, Directorate for development of small and medium-sized enterprises is responsible for the following areas:
- defining the strategy for small and medium sized enterprises,
- preparing and realizing SME development projects and programs,
- coordinating the programs, measures and activities related to SME development,
- observing the realization of financial support program for SME development including financial support from abroad,
- providing an expert assistance and participating in definition of rules related to SME development,
- realizing the aims and standards, in particular those prescribed by EU for SME development,
- examining the impact of legal and other facts on SME development,
- preparing educational programs for entrepreneurs,
- making the projects and minding about organization of regional and local centers for SME development support,
- proposing and providing the realization of special programs for stimulation of SME development (franchising, leasing, venture capital, technological parks, incubators etc) as well as,
- other jobs defined in its authorization.